Letters From a Bus
August 2007: Sidetracked
3rd entry for August

Return to Letters From A Bus:

Letter Archives

Visiting Walton Relatives in Ogden, UT

Ogden, UT, Day Ten at Century RV Park, Carriage Lane, #80

Monday, August 20, 2007 — Month Three

On our third morning in town, Dennis’s son, Bart and Bart’s wife, Char, came down Ogden Canyon from their camp near Huntsville and met us at our RV Park in Ogden.  We were ready for our all-day outing to Bear Lake State Park.  These places are familiar to Dennis because he grew up here.  But he left town in his early twenties and has returned only a few times — and those just in the past few years.  Things have a way of changing in forty years — so much of what we see is as new to him as it is to me.

Bear Lake is about 90 miles to the northeast so we took I-15N to Brigham City.  Then we took US-91 to Logan.  Here we stopped to look for breakfast and found an excellent local coffee shop called, Angie’s Restaurant where we found comfortable booths, a big menu and very good food.  Then we drove 40 miles up Logan Canyon on US-89 and got to Bear Lake about noon.

We stopped at a lookout view point above Bear Lake. Right: Dennis with Margot. 8/13/07

Bear Lake is a natural lake located on the Utah-Idaho border at an elevation of 5,923 feet above sea level.  It is quite large — about 20 miles long and 5 to 8 miles wide and is 84 feet deep on average. It was formed at least 150,000 years ago by geologic faulting.  Bear Lake is known for it’s unusually rich color — a deep aquamarine blue.  I wondered about the cause.  Later I discovered that the water has a high amount of dissolved solids, mainly precipitated carbonates, which reflect blue light and that creates the beautiful turquoise color.  The water is alkaline with a pH of approximately 8.6. http://wildlife.utah.gov/fishing/bearlake.html

Obviously Bear Lake offers winter and summer activities.  There are a lot of summer homes and RV parks.  Sadly, the lake is very low.  Winter snowdrifts no longer reach the heights that they did when Dennis was young.  Bear Lake offers entertainment at the Pickelville Playhouse, and historic buildings such as the Mormon Paris Tabernacle building, or the National Oregon/California Trail Center (located in Montpelier, ID).  The famous Oregon Trail went through the Bear Lake Valley so I would like to go back to see this center. http://www.bearlake.com/

Above: We stopped at an RV park where there was access to the beach — for a fee.
Right: A mountain peak and many other places around Bear Lake are named after Swan, the man who was asked Brigham Young to settle the area.
Left: There are many picturesque abandoned houses and barns in the area.
Right: I couldn't resist recording the "Chicken Condon Bleu" on the sign at Le Beaus where we waited for our raspberry shakes. If only the second 'n' had been an 'm'....

However, we just drove around parts of the lake and looked at the town.  The big draw at this time of year is raspberries.  (There was a Raspberry Festival at the beginning of August.)  We were told that we couldn’t leave until we bought some local raspberry jam and tried a raspberry shake.  Nothing loath, we tried both.  However, purchase of four shakes at Le Beaus, an outdoor fast food window, was an ordeal.  It was a very hot day and we stood in a long line in the sun.  Finally, our shakes ordered, we stood around on the pavement, waiting for same. 

Eventually I asked a young man if I could sit next to him on a bench.  He nodded irritably.  He looked like a sulky teenager and he wore black and he had a noticeable tattoo on his ankle.  He had dark looks with black hair and he was very handsome.  Dennis stood next to me and we speculated on how long we would have to wait.  Suddenly, my young man spoke to me and he said he’d waited an hour and that the famous raspberry shake wasn’t worth it.  I told him I certainly agreed.  We began a conversation.

Barely out of his teens, he has two years of college and is working as a paralegal.  He hopes to move to California to finish his education.  He is engaged and the tattoo is a Celtic outline enclosing the initials of J & R, their first names.  His fiancé was waiting in his truck.  His name is Javier and he is from Argentina and has lived in the states for eight years and went to high school in Utah.  Despite first impressions he was smart and talkative and friendly.  I ended up telling him to check out San Francisco State (one of my alma maters) and to look up my son at Pigeon Point to get more info on the bay area.  He said he would definitely look up Jeff and we parted good friends.  Altogether, the purchase of our shakes took forty minutes.  They weren’t worth it but meeting Javier was.  I could see that we had both energized and cheered each other up.  It goes to show that you can’t jump to conclusions based on first impressions….

We drove home the back way making a big loop for our total drive.  We went south on Hwy. 16 along Bear River to Randolph and Woodruff and then east down the Ogden Canyon on US-39.  On the way we stopped at a Trappist Monastery (1250 South 9500 East above Huntsville) where I found more jams and honey.  I was told that they make and sell bread but the monk in the gift shop informed me in a brief and disdainful manner that they haven’t in the past seven years.  He did not volunteer that they sell a cereal that can be baked into bread.  I bought $16 worth of jams and honey and gave him a twenty.  As he made change I told him to drop it in the jar labeled “For the Poor.”  That was the first time he woke up and actually looked at me.  I startled him.  He thanked me and we left.  (We use the honey in our Vita-Mix fruit smoothies but I can’t explain the jam purchases.)  http://www.holytrinityabbey.org/

We didn’t get back until 5:30 but our day wasn’t finished.  Bart and Char had a surprise in store for us.  They took us to the Prairie Schooner Steak House and Restaurant on Park Blvd.  This place was amazing.  We stepped out of bright light and into a very large and dark room.  I followed our maitre ‘d closely on a path so I wouldn’t make a miss-step.  I felt nearly blind.  That’s the idea.  Suddenly in front of me loomed a huge wolf.  Behind him on the desert sand was a campfire and this was just enough to illuminate chaparral, other animals and an Indian sitting at the campfire.  I assure you I was very startled.  The entire center of this room was dedicated to this scene.  Booths around the perimeter were each enclosed by the canopy of a Conestoga wagon or prairie schooners.  The only other illumination came from the lanterns on the back wall of each booth and the stars in the dark ceiling.

Bart and Char treated us to a wonderfully unique dinner.  I had a “Cowgirl” a delicious filet mignon.  It was really fun to sit in our cozy little covered wagon booth and peer out at the wild desert scene in front of us.  I loved it.  The owners didn’t stint or do this half way.  The effect was 100% and I thank them for it.  We joked, that this is the first dinner we’ve had by a campfire.  And that's the truth.

This huge wolf is the first thing I saw when I entered the dining room. The flash makes the room seem much lighter than it is when you first walk in. You can see Dennis at our booth behind the Indian.
We had a group photo taken with Bart and Char. Don't we look cozy in our Prairie Schooner? 8/13/07

Tuesday was a very busy day also.  We combined errands and visiting.  We had an appointment at Ken Garff Ogden Honda on Riverdale Rd. to get the GPS repaired or replaced.  Also we had to have the brakes repaired.  Dennis thinks that the very first time we towed the Honda, the technician who helped us attach the tow had put the emergency brake on the Honda.  We towed it that way and they burned out that very first day.  Dennis can’t imagine that he put on the brakes and forgot to take them off.  I can’t either.  It doesn’t sound like something he would do.  But in any case, it happened and we had to get it fixed.

We also planned to spend the day with Dennis’s 85 year old sister, Lila, who also drives a Honda.  I drove ours and Dennis drove Lila in hers and we dropped our Honda at the service department.  Then we used Lila’s Honda for the day.

Lila and Blair retired and bought a mobile home. It is in Roy, UT There is a park in the trailer court across from her home. She's still mad at Blair for not buying the doublewide.

We had quite a day planned.  First breakfast — at I-Hops, of course.  Lila needed to buy some strips for her diabetes tester so we went to Wal*Mart where Dennis and I picked up some items also.  Then we bought two bouquets of flowers and two glass vases and gift cards and went on to pay our respects to the dead.  First we went to North Ogden to the Ben Lomond Cemetery (526 E 2850 N). Surrounded by grass and spotted with big trees, it is a lovely cemetery situated on a hill.  We drove up the third of five lanes to the top of the hill to visit the grave of Mary Ellen Barker [Chugg] Walton, mother of Dennis and Marian Walton.

Half-brother and sister stare at Mary Ellen's gravestone, changed without their knowledge by her sons, the Chugg boys. Ben Lomond Cemetery, 8/14/07

Now here is a sorry little story, so I will pause to digress.  It is the sort of occurrence that haunts families and drives them permanently apart.  Dennis’s mother, Mary Ellen Barker, (1903-1957) married Karl Willis Chugg (1903-1935) and they had four boys, Cecil, Melvin, Glenn, and Orville.  They owned a farm on the slopes of Ben Lomond in Pleasant View.  Ten years later, at age 31, Karl died of a fever and left Mary Ellen, a 31-year-old widow with sons ranging in age from one to nine years old. 

Dennis’s father, Charles Herbert Walton, (1887-1974) married Ida Ann Paxman (1889-1930) and they had two girls, Iona and Lila.  At age 41, Ida died and left Charles a widower when the girls were nine and fifteen.  Mary Ellen and Charles were introduced at a church function.  Mary Ellen needed help with the farm and with her boys.  Charles needed a mother for his girls.  They married on 12/23/1936.  Dennis and Lila both agree that the marriage was a happy union.  Charles took over the mortgage and made a go of the farm.  He also worked for the government as a cartographer.  In 1949 Mary put his name on the deed.  Charles helped to raise Mary Ellen’s boys and gave each of them an acre for a home when they grew up.  The couple had two children of their own, Dennis and Marian.

In 1957, at age 54, Mary Ellen died of a stroke when Dennis was only sixteen.  She was married to Walton for twice the amount of time that she was married to Chugg.  But, for some reason the Chugg boys were bitter and angry.  Although Charles pulled the farm out of bankruptcy and had worked it for twenty years at the time that their mother died, the Chugg boys didn’t think that Charles should have the farm.  It seems that the oldest boy, Cecil, promoted the idea that Charles Walton and the Walton kids were not a welcome part of the family.  His brothers followed his lead.

Eventually Charles sold the farm and moved into town.  By the early seventies both Dennis and Marian were married and living in California.  In his old age, the still local Chuggs treated Charles badly and they took his remaining possessions after he died.  Dennis is very bitter about their behavior.  His mother made quilts for each of her children, but Dennis has no mementoes from either of his parents.  He left the church and has stayed away from Ogden most of his adult life.

Gravestone of Dennis's mother, Mary Ellen Barker [Chugg] Walton. Left is the front side of the changed stone. Right is the back side. No marriage date is given for Mary Ellen and Charles Waton. Ben Lomond Cemetery, 8/14/07
When Dennis first brought me to the cemetery two years ago, he found that his parent’s original gravestone which listed Mary Ellen, Karl and Charles had been removed.  Charles intended to be buried by Mary Ellen, but discouraged by the actions of the sons he raised, he later chose to be buried by Lila's mother, Ida Paxman Walton.

A new stone replaces the original with the names of Mary Ellen Barker and Karl Willis Chugg.  It is a large and impressive LDS stylized stone and it memorializes Mary Ellen as the mother of the four Chugg boys and the wife of Karl Chugg.  On the back, in small letters, are mentioned the name of Charles Walton and the two additional children, Marian and Dennis. 

The entire scenario is aggravated by the Mormon belief that when you are married or “sealed” in the temple, you are united together in the after life.  Charles will be with Ida and Mary Ellen will be with Karl.  Logically speaking, the children of a second marriage are left out in the afterlife cold.  There is no celestial provision for them to be reunited with their parents.  Changed by the Chugg boys, the new gravestone further aggravates an old wound.

Flowers placed for Dennis's mother and Lila's step-mother. 8/14/07

We paid our respects to Mary Ellen and then drove up the North Ogden Pass to Liberty Valley where Lila lived on their farm with her husband of 63 years.  For a time, before the war, the four Shaw boys worked a section of land, 640 acres, in partnership.  Blair Shaw rests peacefully in close proximity to his old farmhouse, the home of his father.  Who today can say they were born, lived and died in one place?  Although the Liberty Valley Cemetery is not new, (the first burial occurred in the late 1800s), Blair actually donated some of his land to the cemetery along the fence line.  There are three acres of level land with incredible views of the surrounding mountains.  I love the rural directions to find this pretty cemetery: “South of Old Red Church off of North Ogden Pass.” http://history.utah.gov/apps/burials/execute/viewcemetery?id=WE0801

We paid our respects to Blair and then went back to Honda.  I drove Lila home and Dennis met us later after getting a rental car.  The Honda was not ready. Both back wheel brake disks and the rotor had to be replaced. No warranty, of course.

This old farmhouse was Blair's childhood home and later his and Lila Shaw's family home. Lila says that now it looks run down. "There used to be pretty flowers." The red farmhouse can be seen from the cemetery. That cut in the hill above is the old North Ogden Pass. Liberty Valley, 8/14/07
Dennis and Lila wander around the Liberty Valley Cemetery. We place flowers on Blair's grave. This is where Lila will be buried. Her name is already on the stone. Below is a view of the farmland in Liberty Valley. It is a beautiful area. Liberty Valley Cemetery, 8/14/07
That evening, Bart’s daughter, Kayla came to visit us with her six-year-old daughter, Jillian.  Jillian chose I-Hop so we went there for dinner and caught up on news.  Kayla is Dennis’s granddaughter and Jillian is his great-granddaughter.  Recently re-married, Kayla looks healthy and happy.  Jillian ate an inordinate amount of sugar. With so many diabetics in the family, this worries me. Jillian says that fairies live in weeping willow trees.  Fortunately, there are two big beautiful ones at I-Hop on 12th St. so we waved at them as we left.

After dinner we came back to the bus. Jillian played with the dogs.

By Wednesday I was ready for a rest.  I spent the day on the computer and uploaded my weekly letter.  However we did meet with Lila to go out to dinner.  Once again we chose McGrath’s Fish House and we were not disappointed.  Since Blair’s death last January, Lila has written a document titled, “The Rest of My Story.”  Blair left a brief biography and Lila is filling in the missing pieces.  It is hand written and she planned to ask her daughter, Myrna, to type it for her.  I offered to do this as I have free time and I like to do this kind of thing.  I also offered to fix up her address book.  So at dinner, Lila gave me these papers.

On Thursday morning we had breakfast at I-Hop with Bart and Char and then we did a few errands.  Later Bart helped Dennis turn in his Hertz car and pick up the Honda ($500.).  After our errands, I got busy typing Lila’s papers.  I was glad for the excuse to spend a second day sitting and resting at my computer.  They came to about sixteen typed pages and I loved reading about her family.  It was fun to do.  Lila is a good writer and she likes to write poetry also.  This little bundle of energy raised five kids and she is still a loving and involved parent — mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother to the max. 

On Friday morning, with a recommendation from Char and an advance appointment, I took my gel nails to Expo Nails on second St. in Ogden.  They did a great job and they also did me a favor.  I noticed they had a full bookcase of plastic boxes with a client’s name on each box.  These hold personal nail tools for each client.  In today’s age of blood diseases, this is such a good idea.  I asked if they would put one together for me and that I would buy it to take with me.  In a handy box I now have assembled my own personal cuticle nippers, buffer, nail file, wash brush and even toe separators for a pedicure!  I am very pleased to have this.

This is particularly important to me because I don't want to infect someone else. Because I am a lifetime nail biter and frequently suffered bleeding cuticles in my youth, my gastroenterologist thinks I probably was infected with Hepatitis C in a nail salon perhaps as long ago as the seventies. As I never had a blood transfusion, this seems the most logical theory. Hep C is a slow virus. It chomps away on my liver so that now I am classified with moderate liver disease. I combat it by eating and drinking wisely but this is why I often speak of being tired. I need time to rest up inbetween our days of exploration.

During the middle of the day I worked on making an address list for Lila.  I will send these documents to Myrna so she can edit and help her mother as needed.  At two we dropped by to visit Lila and I gave her back her handwritten materials together with the typed document.  I made some small editing changes and I was worried about that but she has since let me know that she loves what I did.

The rest of the day was a great treat and I was glad I was rested and ready to enjoy.  Kevin Christensen offered to show us Park City and the area where the winter Olympics was held.  We met him at his house in Salt Lake City at 3:30 and then we were off to the Wasatch Mountains. 

First we stopped at Utah Olympic Park located 28 miles east of SLC.  This place is an absolute marvel.  We didn’t have time to do any of the formal tours or activities so we just planned to look around.  But immediately we stumbled on youth competitions for freestyle aerial ski jumping.  In aerials, competitors ski down an in-run to a steep ramp (a kicker) that launches them into the air to perform a series of twists and flips.  We watched kids of all ages fly down various ramps on skis — but in the summer they land in a huge and beautiful pool.  Just before they land the pool boils us with white, airy foam.  This gives the jumper a focal point and a softer landing.  Adjacent to the pool area were long alpine slides made of something that looked like fiberglass.  Summer skiers slide down at enormous speed and try to keep their momentum going to glide farther than the others on level ground.  I enjoyed watching both these sports so much.  The facilities and the kids and their abilities were all amazing.  http://www.olyparks.com/

Dennis, Kevin and I took turns trying to play photo journalist and catch these kids in motion. It's not very easy! Utah Olympic Park, 8/17/07
No jumping here. It's distance that counts. This is located adjacent to the pool. Utah Olympic Park, 8/17/07
Next Kevin took us to Park City Mountain Resort.  Mountain Resort is one of three ski resorts just minutes from downtown Park City.  According to one website, “this is the heart of Park City’s summer alpine adventure.”  Next to Park City’s Main Street, the resort is a large plaza nestled against the ski slopes and surrounded by lodges and restaurants.
Park City Mountain Resort, 8/17/07
No sooner had we arrived then Kevin asked if we’d like to go down the alpine slide.  Where?  What?  Up there???  Well this was a series of firsts.  We had to ride up on the “PayDay Lift” a chair lift that is a six-person wide bench with nothing to keep you from falling off — after you faint from looking down.  (You can tell I’m not a skier.)  This rises from the 6900 ft. base to the 10,000 ft. summit and it is a wonderful way to enjoy the mountain scenery — if you don’t look down.  I didn’t.  However, I was very nervous and had to ask Dennis to put his hand on my thigh, just to ground me and keep me from melting off the bench and sliding down, down and away. http://www.parkcitymountain.com/summer/activities/alpine_slide/index.html
Left to right - top to bottom:
A) View from the lift, starting up
B) Getting higher - view of 4 slides
C) In the middle distance is a bridge for the new Alpine Coaster - more exciting. D) Parent & child riding a roller sled on our Alpine Slide below
E) Approaching the summit
F) Great view of the area
G) Descending height
H) Alpine Slide track below in the Aspen trees
I) A photo of us as we descend to the summit

The Alpine Slide lets you slide down the mountain aboard a wheeled toboggan sled.  Side by side, there are four half-shell concave cement slides to choose from.  It is one of the longest in the world (1.4 miles) with “over 3,000 feet of curls, swirls, dips and turns”.  You can control the speed with a joystick so actually it’s a great way to also enjoy the scenery.  Once before I descended on a slide from one of the gates at the Great Wall of China.  But that slide was not so long or so steep as this one.

Kevin took off and flew down the mountain with Dennis in close pursuit.  I followed carefully enjoyed the alpine forest scenery.  The boys teased me at the bottom for being so slow.  Kevin said he’d had drinks and dinner while I was coming down the mountain.  I laughed and said, “I’m a philosopher — not a thrill seeker.”  But really, it was fun.

Below: I managed to take some photos while coming down the slide — slooowly.

Next we drove into Park City and looked for a place to park near Zoom, the Robert Redford restaurant.  On Friday night, Main St. was crowded but we lucked out and found a spot nearby.  Park City is a resort town.  It was once a center for silver mining but now it is a ski center with three ski resorts just minutes from downtown.  In addition to Park City Mountain Resort, there is Deer Valley Resort and The Canyons. http://www.go-utah.com/Park-City

My sister and mother lived in Aspen, CO for many years.  To me Park City looked like a larger Aspen.  It is very similar in the types of buildings and the attractions that it offers.  I recognized the art galleries, restaurants and the type of people in residence.  Of course, I loved it.  I would be happy to spend several weeks in the area and have the opportunity to poke around the various establishments.  Next time….

Lots of wonderful looking shops in Park City. Many buildings had balcony dining. We ate at Zoom. Park City, 8/17/07
It was beginning to sprinkle raindrops as we found a table in Zoom.  It has a pleasant, casual atmosphere — call it mountain modern, and we had an excellent dinner.  We did not linger over dessert, as Kevin wanted us to see Deer Valley before dark.  We headed up the mountain just as the sun was setting and drove around looking at the hotels and lodges and huge, beautiful homes on the hills above.  Again I was reminded of Aspen.  These are the kinds of homes that only the very wealthy can build.  They are second or third homes — spacious, handsome and well appointed.  I have been in some and I always love the opportunity to see and admire the architecture and interior design of such homes.
Left: Driving up to Deer Valley, above Park City and lookiing west towards Salt Lake City over the Wasatch Mts. I just missed the sunset colors. Right: Looking down on The Canyons from Deer Valley. 8/17/07

We had a marvelous time with Kevin.  He is very familiar with the area as he entertains there about once a week.  He gave us a delightful tour.  He is not only talkative and entertaining but also relaxed and easy to be with.  Dennis had never been to Park City.  Without Kevin’s momentum we never would have thought to drive up there and most certainly we would not have gone on the alpine slide!  I think I must import more of Kevin’s joie de vivre into our life so that we can remember to go have fun and seek adventures.

On Saturday we spent the day around Huntsville and Eden with Bart and Char and Kayla.  The area had various event going on that weekend.  There was a bike race and the 13th Annual Ogden Valley Balloon Festival with early morning balloon launches and an evening Balloon Glow planned.  Huntsville Park offered a Fine Arts Show and an antique car and motorcycle show.  The art show sponsored a contest for artists who took the same size canvas and the same amount of time.  They could position themselves around the valley to paint a scene for the day and submit it to a jury.

We stop to admire the painting of one of the artists in the field. We stop for breakfast at The Oaks, a restaurant under the cliffs of the Ogden River. Then we went to Huntsville Park where we admired an old jaguar. 8/18/07
Unfortunately we had a severe thunderstorm Friday night and heavy rain.  There were clouds in the morning and rain in the mountains.  This spoiled the balloon festival and none were in evidence.  The five of us had breakfast at an old restaurant, The Oaks, in Ogden Canyon.  By then the sun was out so we went to Huntsville Park and walked around the craft fair.  The best part of that was the homemade ice cream.  We liked the entrepreneurial young woman who ran this business.  She was so proud of her two John Deere single cylinder motors that ran to turn the cylinders to make the ice cream.  She was excited to see us standing in line because on Friday she only made enough money to pay her salesgirl.  On Saturday she said her freezer was full but it seemed safe to start making a new batch of ice cream.  I had a fresh peach and vanilla cone and I was happy for her.
It began to rain so we ate inside at the Oaks. When we were finished we saw that some did sit outdoors. At the Huntsville Fair we admired the fresh ice cream. That's the proprieter in the blue hat. Then we drove up to Powder Mountain to look at the view. Kayla is normally very quiet and shy but her daughter is a dramatic ham. We asked her to be Jillian and she obliged. 8/18/07

After the park we decided to drive up to Powder Mountain just to see it.  This is when I found out that our Honda has a four-cylinder engine and it is gutless.  It sailed up the Park City highway but this road has a very steep grade up to the 8900 ft. parking lot at the summit and the Honda didn’t want to do it.  I was reminded of when my first husband and I drove our ’63 Volkswagon bug across country with camping equipment strapped to the top.  We couldn’t make it up a steep grade unless we made a running start on it.  That’s the way the Honda behaved.  Hmmph!  I thought those days were gone forever.

Powder Mountain has a pretty view but there isn’t much to see.  Houses are being built but not of the type one sees in Deer Valley. This is not yet a wealthy resort.  http://gorp.away.com/gorp/activity/skiing/ut/powdermt.htm

We went back to Bart’s campground where they were having a Mountain Man Rendezvous in the central meadow.  Again the rain spoiled the turnout.  By the time we got there only a few tents were up with Indian/Mountain Man craft items for sale.  However, I talked for quite a long time to the folks in one tent who make replicas of the original Long Rifle.  As it happens, I am a fan of Steward Edward White and his “The Long Rifle” series about Andy Burnett.  So although I am no fan of guns, I do happen to know something about the difficulties and operation of the long rifle.  We admired the replicas and learned about some of the technical details. 

This group also had a Plains Indian tipi pitched behind their Mountain Man tent.  As it happens I am also a big fan of tipis and how they are built and used.  They were a wonder of engineering, just ingenious, with the ability to avoid smoke from the campfire and the ability to be cool or warm.  I used to make miniatures when I was a child.  For poles, I used long toothpicks from a game called “pick-up-sticks”.  In my twenties I bought books on how to make them and I pestered my first husband to help me make one.  (After we divorced he said he thought that one day he would come home and find me building a canoe in the living room.  He had a point.) 

So I had a good time talking to the two men and a woman who was sewing old and authentic trade beads onto a leather Indian dress.  I was fascinated because these three spend a lot of time going all over the west to these rendezvous events and they take the recreation of this era very seriously.  They live it, dress it, and know a lot about it.  I guess they are like those who recreate the civil war.  In my twenties I was fascinated with this lifestyle but I felt embarrassed and defensive about it.  I felt that I was being judged (correctly) for being overly romantic and impractical.  These people have followed through.  I was impressed.

Above right: Dennis and I stand in front of the view in the parking lot at Powder Mountain.
The other photos above: Dennis admires the hand made replicas of The Long Rifle used by the trappers and explorers in the Rocky Mts. in the 1800s. The empty field is the meadow where Bart camps. There wasn't a big turnout for the Mountain Man Redezvous. We admired the work of the group. Dennis holds a hand made powder horn. This is their tipi behind their working Mountain Man tent. She is sewing trade beads on a leather dress. Eagles Campsite, Huntsville, UT 8/18/07
On Sunday we caught up on errands and rested.  The dogs have appointments to be groomed on Monday and we plan to head for Vancouver, WA on Tuesday.  We want to be there by Friday the 24th to help Marian Walton [Christensen] Schwary celebrate her birthday.
Above left: Site 80 at Century RV Park
Above: Our windshield view of permanent resident sites
Below left: Sunrise looking toward the freeway.
Elsa Walton, Carriage Lane, #80, Century Mobile Homes & RV Park, Ogden, UT, Monday, August 20, 2007